Thursday 5 September 2013

Two of everything!

It occurred to me the other day whilst doing my costume plot that I was going to need two identical 1940s evening dresses for the character of Katriona. One to wear at dinner just before the ship gets torpedoed and one that she wears in the life boat that will get broken down. Now, I know we have a lot of 1940s frocks at the Maddermarket but I'm pretty sure that we don't have two identical ones and if we did, I don't think I'd feel happy about setting about one of them with a cheese grater and chemicals. Nothing for it but to rustle up a couple of evening dresses then. 

How about this slinky little number from 1940?

Vogue vintage pattern

I decided on an aubergine liquid satin as it is a bias cut dress and this is the closest to an authentic period fabric I could find locally. I really wanted an emerald green but the shade in the shop looked too modern. It needs to be a colour that will stand out on stage as all of the other costumes are a uniform drab. It also needs to be fairly quick and easy to put together as I have two to make on top of everything else I have to do. The dress only has six pieces but it's bias cut and took me two hours just to cut out! Hopefully won't take too much longer to put together. Watch this space..........

No comments:

Post a Comment